In a response to Russia’s accusation of preparing “a large-scale provocation” on the eve of three-year anniversary of recognition Abkhazia and South Ossetia, Tbilisi blamed Moscow for an attempt to create “artificial tensions on the ground, and in doing so to prepare for possible future provocations.”
“We are already accustomed to hearing such outrageous and groundless accusations, and do not take them seriously. And neither does the international community, as the EUMM's [EU Monitoring Mission in Georgia] reaction to this allegation proves,” the Georgian Foreign Ministry said on August 24.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said a day earlier that Tbilisi was planning “peace march” at the South Ossetian administrative border on August 26, which it said was fraught with “destabilization of already fragile situation in the region.”
EU Monitoring Mission in Georgia (EUMM) said it was aware of these allegations and checked the reports about the alleged “peace march” with the Georgian authorities, which had denied having intention to organize such an event.
Asked if monitors from EUMM on the ground observed any signs of preparation for the alleged event, EUMM spokesman, Steve Bird, told Civil.ge on August 23: “We have not seen anything”.
The Georgian Foreign Ministry also said on August 24: “It is extremely alarming that Russia invents such false pretexts for further provocations and for the worsening of the already dire situation near Georgia's occupied territories.”
“Such Soviet-style propaganda aims at creating artificial tensions on the ground, and in doing so to prepare for possible future provocations.”
“We will all keep a watchful eye on possible developments, as we can never be sure what aggressive intentions Russia may be hiding behind such statements,” the Georgian Foreign Ministry said.