Anatoly Bibilov, a runner-up in November’s annulled presidential race in breakaway South Ossetia, said on February 6, that he would not run in the repeat election on March 25.
Bibilov, who was openly backed by the Kremlin and who was defeated in the November runoff by an opposition candidate Alla Jioyeva, called on the ex-candidates to follow his suit and not to run in the repeat poll in order not to allow holdovers of past tensions to mar the March 25 election.
Jioyeva also announced earlier about her intention not to run, but for different motives. She argues that she had already won the election back in November and the repeat election would be illegal. Jioyeva also said that she would hold her self-inauguration as the new leader on February 10.
Apparently referring to Jioyeva’s plans, Bibilov called “on those who still remain in the logic of confrontation not to undertake any anti-constitutional actions.”