The officially registered number of Georgian citizens killed in the conflict is 326, as of September 11, according to a report released by the Georgian government.
The civilian death toll is 155; 154 Defense Ministry personnel are listed as dead and 17 from the Interior Ministry.
The previous report by the government dated September 8 said the total death toll was 295 - 109 civilians and 186 military.
Officials explained the discrepancy in the military death toll figures and the subsequent reduction in military dead, saying a recheck of the military death toll had revealed “duplicated names,” which were removed.
Fourteen soldiers are still missing, according to the report.
Three journalists were also killed in the conflict – two locals and one Dutch cameraman.
Meanwhile, Human Rights Watch (HRW) representatives said on September 11 that civilians killed in South Ossetia numbered “fewer than 100.”
Tatiana Lokshina, a Russian researcher for HRW who visited the region, said trips to a hospital and cemetery, and conversations with residents had failed to corroborate claims by Russian and South Ossetian authorities that thousands of civilians had been killed in the region, The Associated Press reported.
Initially, Russian officials claimed that 2,000 civilians had been killed in South Ossetia. In late August, a representative of the Russian General Prosecutor’s Office said 133 deaths had been officially registered at that time.